WA Queries on a Civil Arrest Warrant

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lanny

28 September 2017
I was meant to attend court two days ago for a means enquiry. The matter has previously been adjourned to this date and at that first hearing I did attend and was told I was released to the adjourned date on the bail act. Anyway I couldn't attend and I did let the court know but they didn't care and so they issued a civil arrest warrant.

I was told the arrest warrant is referred to WAPOL to execute however I can still show up to the court myself and have the matter heard. I'm just not able to get there before next week and I'm wondering what the likelihood of being arrested before is. It's not even a large debt (just under $2k). Do they generally come to your house for a civil arrest warrant and take you away? Hold you in a cell? Over the weekend?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You are the judgement debtor, and you failed to appear?
Court dates are not a matter of your personal convenience.

If the warrant is already out then you can be arrested at any time.

Will tactical police come and kick in your door at dawn?
Not likely.

But, if they "run the usuals" on you at, say, RBT or
if you are detected via, say, number plate scanning,
then you are probably going to be arrested.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
There's also the very small possibility that it's a 'slow day' and they decide to act on chasing up warrants. The chances of that are 'slim to none', but it has happened.

Reactions: Tim W

Clancy

6 April 2016
You are the judgement debtor, and you failed to appear?
Court dates are not a matter of your personal convenience..

Yep, unless you were in hospital or had some other legal obligation to comply with.

possibly if your employer refused you leave and you have or can get that in writing, or can otherwise prove, it should be very helpful.