NSW Publication of Private Event in Newspaper?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bevvy

15 March 2016
Under Australian Law, who can submit a photo and an article of a private event to a country newspaper for publication?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What's the background to this question?

Bevvy

15 March 2016
I arranged a family event for my 90-year-old aunt to celebrate her 90th birthday and 70 years as a nun. She was in good health until she had a stroke late last year. She still looks reasonably well although has lost her memory, is almost blind, and is not very mobile. She is a very private person.

One of her requests was no photos, which I said I would strictly honour. However, my sister-in-law, who was invited to the event and considers herself a professional photographer, took photos and when asked to stop left the event in a huff. It appears that she is going to write an article with photos and submit to the paper.

I might add that the relationship between my sister-in-law and myself was not great before this event as she does not talk to me at all.

In relation to the event, we endeavoured to meet any requests that were made by her. She was very hesitant about having the function in the first place.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It might help to contact the editor and let them know that your aunt requested no photos and general low-keyness.