NSW Australian Law - Are Security Personnel Allowed to Confiscate Possessions?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

happy_goer

1 November 2016
I had a bit of a situation a few weeks ago where my chainsaw was nearly confiscated when I was driving into a public event. After explaining why I had the chainsaw in the first place, the security personnel reluctantly didn't take it (and told me to keep it hidden for the rest of the event).

Chainsaws not being allowed at the event is apparently detailed in the terms of the event somewhere, which, of course, I didn't read.

I was wondering though: under Australian Law, are security allowed to just confiscate someone's possessions like that, especially without clear intent that it would be returned after the event had finished?

If it makes any difference, I hadn't used the chainsaw at the event and had no intention to.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Generally speaking, no. Although they could well refuse you entry based on the information provided above.

Although you say 'public event' and 'security personnel; what sort of event was it and were these just private security guards? If it were some event held on Commonwealth grounds for example there may be a provision whereby powers are given. Although based on your explanation, I think my first point will suffice.

happy_goer

1 November 2016
'Public event' as in it was open to the public (purchasing tickets was required), and yes they were private security guards. Thank-you for your answer, I assume the same law would apply in any state? I specifically have avoided naming the event, in case it might shame them in anyway.

PS. I found their terms that were sent to me, which does state their rules about no chainsaws. I don't think this was provided until after purchasing entry tickets.