VIC Public Liability Insurance Covering Personal Injury for Volunteer Work?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nal

2 March 2015
I am a volunteer wildlife carer and I have been asked by a member of the public if they can do volunteer work to help me with the wildlife on my property. Am I responsible if something happened to them whilst on my property and can I be sued for personal injury? Or I am covered with some sort of public liability insurance?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Nal,

Are you a registered wildlife carer for an organisation such as WIRES? If so, contact the organisation and ask them what public liability insurance they have and whether it covers the premises of their registered volunteers as part of the operational area. Then see if your volunteer can register through the organisation so as to be covered by that policy.

Nal

2 March 2015
Hi Nal,

Are you a registered wildlife carer for an organisation such as WIRES? If so, contact the organisation and ask them what public liability insurance they have and whether it covers the premises of their registered volunteers as part of the operational area. Then see if your volunteer can register through the organisation so as to be covered by that policy.
Hi Ivy, yes I am a registered carer through Wildlife Victoria. Thanks for the advice I will contact them and ask.