QLD Pub Poaching from Agency - What to Do Under Commercial Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

prosurfer

15 December 2014
Some time ago, I set up an agency organising lingerie girls to come to work in a pub. As such, I invoiced the pub management each week for the girl supplied and paid the girl, taking a small percentage as an agency fee.

Recently new management have taken over the pub and they have decided not to use my services. I have just discovered they are contacting the girls I spent a lot of time booking, attracting and organising to work at the pub to come and work directly for them or for them through another agency. I spent a lot of time and efforrt finding girls and persuading them to work at the pub. I feel that I should invoice the pub every time they use one of the girls I found and contracted.

Where do I stand legally on this under Commercial Law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Your rights will depend on the contracts you have the Pub and the girls. Unless you have a 'no poaching' clause with the pub and/or a 'no working directly for client' clause with the girls, you probably don't have any rights.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Unless you have exclusive representation of the girls,
which is a matter of contract between you and them, and
some sort of "no poaching" deal with the venues,
which is a matter of contract between you and the venue,
then you are basically nowhere.

Bear in mind that unless you are a labour hire firm
(you might be, but you probably aren't),
or are otherwise directly employing them, even as simple casuals,
and even if their workplace might vary day to day* (which you might be, but probably aren't)
then, as a booking agent, it's you who works for the girls, not them for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Similar to what happens with people who operate on-site catering for functions