VIC Property Settlement - When is it Unreasonable to Wait for Disclosure?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kingkong27

22 August 2016
I separated from my husband in July. A few weeks later, I received a letter of demand for financial disclosure. I complied and provided financial records for 3 years as requested. They haven't reciprocated, even after a threat to take them to court if they didn't. Instead, they then requested all financial documents since we were married in 2000 and that they would subpoena me for them if I didn't provide these.

I think this is a bit rude and unreasonable when they haven't provided one page of any part of financial disclosure. My husband is based overseas and his solicitor is excusing non-disclosure with the difficulty in communication which is not correct, he is quite capable of communicating.

I don't know how long is considered "reasonable" when waiting for disclosure for property settlement?

My issue is that I would really like to keep our home but as time progresses so does its' value along with a then reduced capacity for me to repay a loan as that potential grows too.

He's also spending money on his girlfriend, paying for all their living costs which I also don't think is appropriate as it would be coming out of the asset pool. Is there anything that can be done around this?

Thank you for any help

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

Your ex has a good lawyer playing the process to his advantage and you should probably get a lawyer who is skilled in family law to counter. While you can read up on the process and get as much advice as you want, his lawyer will always be that one step a head. I hope you get some resolution soon.