WA Property Settlement - Unfair Proposal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

freshstartin2015

20 December 2014
Hi I am wondering if this is this best way to get things sorted in a property settlement as currently ex has not responded to any documents by my lawyer. He has just not given me his proposal to look at though I have taken it to my lawyer as wanting to make sure I don't get an unfair deal as his income is well above mine. Throughout our marriage, my main role was stay at home mum of 4. I didn't personally respond to his proposal as I feel he will control the situation. This has been a long stressful situation.

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Freshstartin2015,

What is your question exactly?

If you are asking whether it is best to let your ex husband control the situation, then that is really a personal choice/preference. If I were in your position, I would take an active role in the financial agreement and not let your ex husband dictate terms. However, it really depends on what type of person your ex husband is and what your relationship with him is currently like.

In relation to what should be considered in your financial agreement, the answer is that all jointly held and individually held assets, including gifts and beneficial entitlements are included in a "shared pool" and can be divided between he parties. Your husband's income level, relative to yours, will be considered. As will the fact that you have been a stay at home mum for four children. Further, any future custody arrangements will be considered (i.e. who will be the primary caretaker) to determine who will share more of the financial and emotional burden from raising the children.

If you are asking what you should do, given your ex husband is not responding, then the answer is, attempt to negotiate with him further, if he is still being uncooperative, you can apply to the Family Court for a financial order and/or a parenting order.

S

Sophea

Hi freshstartin2015,

Deal with your ex in whatever way you feel comfortable. As Tracey said, if you feel that by dealing in person with him he will control you, just let your lawyer handle it and refuse to deal with him without your lawyer present. Ultimately if he refuses to respond to and co-operate with your lawyer and negotiate - then the matter will have to go to a hearing and the court will likely take note of the fact that he is being difficult.

The fact that you have made non paid contributions to the family being at home with your 4 chidlren will be taken into account by the court as valid and equal contributions to the family. This will not put you at a disadvantage in the property settlement. If the kids stay with you, this will also likely go toward you receiving a larger share of property because you have additional expenses.