VIC Property Settlement - Family Law Rights After Separation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sibel Gunduz

3 August 2015
Hi. My ex and I have been separated for over a year and a half. We have property we bought in 2002 from Germany that I would like to settle in a post separation property settlement. However, he is not willing to sell or buy me out.

What are my legal rights in terms of the settlement for a property purchased abroad?


If you cannot come to an agreement with your ex, then you may have to get a court order from the Family Court. The Family Court has pwoer to make orders in relation to property situated abroad in an overseas jurisdiction. The only problem is their orders are not automatically recognised and enforceable in an international jurisdiction. However if you are both living in Australia, you may not have any problems.