LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Property Settlement - Am I Entitled to Legal Documents Given to Solicitor?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Sandy11, 30 December 2015.

1. Sandy11

Sandy11 Active Member

I began family court proceedings to settle a financial and property settlement with my spouse. I stopped these proceedings as we reconciled. We have since separated again and I would like to know if I am entitled to my file which has financial checks on my husband, a caveat on our house and other documents.

The solicitor I had engaged said no because it is their property now. I want this information as I had paid for his services, and should I proceed, I will attempt to do it myself as I can't afford more solicitor fees. I paid $20000 and got nowhere. My fault, too trusting.

Never again!

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Lawyers have the right to a lien over your file if you haven't paid your legal fees, but if you are up to date on their bills you should be able to obtain a copy of the file. They may request a nominal per page fee for the copying. After all I'm sure they charged you for the cost of the searches, etc., that they conducted.

Sandy11 likes this.
  3. N Knight

N Knight Well-Known Member

Hi Sandy,

Yes the file should be given to you if you have no money outstanding to them.

Sandy11 likes this.
  4. Sandy11

Sandy11 Active Member

Thanks that's what I thought but they are refusing. Will need to take it further. Appreciate your response