VIC Property Settlement After Separation with Fiance - Decision on House?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

broomie21

28 March 2015
Hi All

I have recently split from my fiancee of 11 years. We are able to work out all of our financials and property settlement, and have come to arrangements but cannot reach a decision on the house.

I have paid for the entire mortgage plus household bills while my ex has paid for food and general living expenses.

My reason for wanting to stay in the house is because I have no family or friends where I live and I don't want to go back to renting. My ex has many friends and all of her family here and has many options for living elsewhere.

I am frightened that this will turn into a legal fight in family court and cost a lot of money. I work in retail management and have limited time and finances now to fight this.

I have a free 1/2 hour session with a family law solicitor but don't know how to use the time wisely to ensure a positive outcome.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do not finalise any property settlement until all items are agreed to, including the house. It may be you need to give up other matters/money in order to stay in the house.

Your ex having more options than you with regards to living arrangements doesn't necessarily mean she wants to use any of them. She may like her independence as much as you do.

re: free 30 mins. Realistically this is not enough time to review 11 years of history and your present finances. Take your present financial summary and see if any options might exist that may see you staying in the house.

broomie21

28 March 2015
Thanks Rod,

I have been to the 1/2 hour session and, yes, very hard to cover everything in that time.

N Knight

27 December 2015
Hi Broomie,
I note that you say you have agreed on most financial items - what is the percentage distribution? is there a possibility for you to buy her out?