NSW Property Law - What Document is Needed for Relocatable Home Ownership?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sunita

4 May 2016
Hi,

I am looking for answers relating to someone who owns a relocatable home who lives with someone else who was not a party to the purchase of the home.

The owner wants the other party to be recognised as a co-owner. The owner wants to make sure that the other party is protected should she ever end up in a nursing home which is likely. As there are no names on the title given that they do not own the land it sits on, I am thinking the home is considered a chattel.

Under Property Law, what document would adequately cover this scenario to ensure that both parties are recognised as joint owners of the home?

Any answers greatly appreciated.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi Sunita, If there is no official title or ownership papers that can be changed to reflect the co-ownership, I suppose the person who technically owns the relocatable could write a letter gifting or "selling" a half share to the other person and confirming that it is co owned by each of them equally.

Sunita

4 May 2016
Thanks, that is along the lines of what I was thinking. Perhaps a deed of gift or something like that. It's funny how this issue has not really been addressed anywhere and no one else has replied. Quite a conundrum!