Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Property Law - What Document is Needed for Relocatable Home Ownership?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Sunita, 4 May 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sunita

Sunita Member

Hi,

I am looking for answers relating to someone who owns a relocatable home who lives with someone else who was not a party to the purchase of the home.

The owner wants the other party to be recognised as a co-owner. The owner wants to make sure that the other party is protected should she ever end up in a nursing home which is likely. As there are no names on the title given that they do not own the land it sits on, I am thinking the home is considered a chattel.

Under Property Law, what document would adequately cover this scenario to ensure that both parties are recognised as joint owners of the home?

Any answers greatly appreciated.

2. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member

Hi Sunita, If there is no official title or ownership papers that can be changed to reflect the co-ownership, I suppose the person who technically owns the relocatable could write a letter gifting or "selling" a half share to the other person and confirming that it is co owned by each of them equally.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sunita

Sunita Member

Thanks, that is along the lines of what I was thinking. Perhaps a deed of gift or something like that. It's funny how this issue has not really been addressed anywhere and no one else has replied. Quite a conundrum!