Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Property Law - Someone Built House on My Property - Where to Go?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Hairy Rosdi, 24 March 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hairy Rosdi

Hairy Rosdi Member

Hi,

I have a property in Victoria. Neither me nor my wife have sold it but have talked to someone regarding it.

I am in trouble now as someone has built a house on top of the land I own. I want to know where I need to go to get legal property law help. I need to know if I can shoo them away out of the property.

Regards

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Has the person occupied the property for any length of time? Adverse possession is a legal principle that enables the occupier of a piece of land to obtain ownership if uninterrupted and exclusive possession of the land for at least 15 years can be proven.

If not, is it an encroachment issue from a neighbour? Or has some one just turned up and built a structure on your land?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...