VIC Property Law - Recouping Money for Bond and Furniture from Ex?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Howley

18 January 2016
Hi,

I moved out of the rental property my now ex and I lived in. I was on the lease and have since been taken off the lease via the real estate agent. The real estate agent advises that the splitting of the bond is a private matter. My ex won't pay me out even when I offered for him to pay in instalments. I left furniture there too (that I had paid for) as he needed it.

Is there anything that I can legally do under Property Law to recoup the money that he owes me?

Thanks

Therese

11 October 2015
Hi Howley,

My understanding is that you are entitled to receive the part of the bond you paid. As he is refusing to pay it back you may engage professionals.

I would suggest trying free mediation to help resolve disputes with your housemate (being your ex) from the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria before you get legal advice.

You may also approach the Federation of Community Legal Centres to find your closest legal aid centre who give free legal advice on co-tenant disputes.