NSW Help with bond

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
3 June 2021
Okay so this is a complicated one I rented a house with someone they paid the bond but left and broke the lease not even half way through the real estate said the bond stays with the property the lease is now up and the bond is going to be taken by the real estate which is fine the old tenant left and did not pay any of the electricity bill I asked him for help with it and he said sucked in and blocked me not long after he tried to claim the bond but was rejected via tribunal and now that the lease has ended has come back and said he wants to claim the bond even thoguh he left the house and broke the lease and I was informed the bond is with the property he is now saying he wants to take it to court what can I expect please help any advice would be amazing I’m in NSW

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Okay so this is a complicated one I rented a house with someone they paid the bond but left and broke the lease not even half way through the real estate said the bond stays with the property the lease is now up and the bond is going to be taken by the real estate which is fine the old tenant left and did not pay any of the electricity bill I asked him for help with it and he said sucked in and blocked me not long after he tried to claim the bond but was rejected via tribunal and now that the lease has ended has come back and said he wants to claim the bond even thoguh he left the house and broke the lease and I was informed the bond is with the property he is now saying he wants to take it to court what can I expect please help any advice would be amazing I’m in NSW
He's talking big to try and scare you.
1. Take yourself to a Community Legal Centre for some advice.
2. Any threats he makes about court... reply with "Well, go on then."