VIC Private Driving Instructor

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nat86

16 May 2017
Melbourne
I engaged a private driving instructor for lessons. I am on learner's permit. I paid the amount for 5 lessons upfront. Instructor was unprofessional always cancelling or delaying the lessons. During one of the lessons car hit the curb slightly, as a instructor he had the complete control of the car too while I was driving. He said that car is insured and it is a work car. Few weeks forward, he again missed the lesson and after frustration I asked for refund of my pending lessons. Now today (16/05) he texted me saying that car damage was higher and I need to pay the difference for insurance. I need to understand if he has any case?

Matthew Karakoulakis

27 October 2016
Hi Nat86,

It seems that you have been the victim of unfortunate circumstances both in respect to the quality of driving lessons you have received and the subsequent accident.

Regarding the quality of lessons provided, it is possible that this has infringed your rights under Australian Consumer Law. Secondly, it sounds like you need specific legal advice on any potential liability you may have for the accident.

Please feel free to contact me via the link below or at [email protected] to arrange an appointment to discuss your practical and legal options. My CBD practice has vast experience in dealing with and resolving both consumer and traffic matters.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Important disclaimer: The material contained in this publication is of a general nature only and it is not, nor is intended to be, legal advice. This publication is based on the law as it was prior to the date of your reading of it. If you wish to take any action based on the content of this publication, we recommend that you seek professional legal advice.