QLD Price Change of Holiday Accommodation - Australian Consumer Law Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Michelle Iris

16 November 2016
Hi,

I have recently been looking for accommodation at the Gold Coast for the Commonwealth Games in 2018. After emailing over 30 places, I received a quote I was happy with. I rang the managers of this complex to discuss further, and agreed on a price and paid a $500.00 deposit and they sent me a confirmation email confirming all details.

Now, 3 weeks later, I have received an email apologising that they quoted me the incorrect read and informing me I would need to pay an extra $1480.00 on top of original quoted price.

What are my rights under Australian Consumer Law? Can I insist on the original rate they gave me? If so, what do I quote to back me up?

Thanks

S

Sophea

A business cannot engage in misleading or deceptive conduct when it comes to pricing, so if you can show that they were just pricing low to lure you in, then you could find them in breach of Australian Consumer Law. However, if it was a mistake on their part, they may in some circumstances be able to retract the sale, as long as you haven't paid in full. Generally a seller can’t attempt to correct the error or claw back any money after they have processed your sale and accepted payment, as the transaction (and the contract) is deemed complete at this point.

I would call Consumer Affiairs or the Dept of Fair trading and see what they say. As far as I know its a bit of a grey area when it comes to pricing unless there is compelling evidence of dishonesty on the part of the business.

luxuryholiday

20 January 2021
Hi Michelle Iris,

According to the Australian consumer law right Holiday accommodation needs to show their accurate pricing in a transparent way. If the concerned person is misleading the prices, then you can charge the breach of Australia consumer law. The consumer must be given the right to a refund if the consumer is requested to pay extra costs because of the transfer or modification.

luxuryholiday

20 January 2021
Hi Michelle Iris

According to the Australian consumer law right Holiday accommodation needs to show their accurate pricing in a transparent way. If the concerned is misleading the prices, then you can charge the breach of Australia consumer law. The consumer must be given the right to a refund if the consumer is requested to pay extra costs.