NSW Previous Employer Still Using My Email Signature - What To Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mark Linnane

15 December 2014
My previous employer is sending emails to my clients using my name in the signature section and a return email address suggesting that I am still working there. I have pasted a copy of the recent email a client has forwarded onto me. This would have gone out to hundreds of clients.

What is my legal position here? Is this a breach of employment law?

Thanks,
------
Hi Kenneth,

Happy holidays!

On behalf of Platinum Direct Finance I'd like to wish you a fun and safe festive season and all the best for the new year.
Interest rates are at an all time low so now may be a great time to consider buying a new car before Christmas.
Over the Christmas period make sure you contact us and we will provide a:
• Current payout figure
• Vehicle valuation
Thank you for your support so far, I hope you have an enjoyable break and we look forward to working with you in 2015.
Festive Regards,
Mark
[Moderator redacted - direct contact information]

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Mark,

I suggest you write a formal letter to your employer requesting them to immediately stop using your electronic signature and your name in association with their company in any way. If this does not work, you may need to complain to the Fair Work Ombudsman and see if they are able to resolve your dispute. If not, you will need to seek an injunction from court.