NSW Plea with CDPP as self-represented?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mum79bronte

17 August 2015
Is it possible to put forward a plea to the CDPP over a criminal charge relating to a Centrelink Debt.
My teenage son has been very sick in intensive care for Bacterial Meningitisfor 5 weeks and is coming home tomorrow. I don't get much actual mail, my bills are electronic and my other son put all the mail in a stack in his room (trying to do the right thing of course). I went through it last night and there was a court attendance notice for next week (Tuesday). I have no idea what to do as I cant afford a lawyer and I'm not supposed to leave my son alone for the first few weeks when he is home. The acute care team will be coming to see him twice a day to clean his central line and change his medication so they will know if I am not there. I have to sign the paperwork as his parent.
Is it possible to ask to appear by telephone? I'm worried as its a substantial debt likely due to my wrong reporting, not on purpose, but just not thinking it through properly. I have untreated mental health issues too and it's causing me a load of anxiety right now. I want to do the right thing by paying it back in instalments but I'm guessing they will not be happy with that.

I don't know what to do bc I need to be with my son and if I don't turn up it could be decided in my absence. Any advice please would be appreciated.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Is it possible to put forward a plea to the CDPP over a criminal charge relating to a Centrelink Debt.
My teenage son has been very sick in intensive care for Bacterial Meningitisfor 5 weeks and is coming home tomorrow. I don't get much actual mail, my bills are electronic and my other son put all the mail in a stack in his room (trying to do the right thing of course). I went through it last night and there was a court attendance notice for next week (Tuesday). I have no idea what to do as I cant afford a lawyer and I'm not supposed to leave my son alone for the first few weeks when he is home. The acute care team will be coming to see him twice a day to clean his central line and change his medication so they will know if I am not there. I have to sign the paperwork as his parent.
Is it possible to ask to appear by telephone? I'm worried as its a substantial debt likely due to my wrong reporting, not on purpose, but just not thinking it through properly. I have untreated mental health issues too and it's causing me a load of anxiety right now. I want to do the right thing by paying it back in instalments but I'm guessing they will not be happy with that.

I don't know what to do bc I need to be with my son and if I don't turn up it could be decided in my absence. Any advice please would be appreciated.
Have you applied for legal aid?

Given your reasons, you could apply for an adjournment while presenting evidence of your circumstances and the fact you need more time to prepare and get representation.