Perjury

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Adamrudd15

18 June 2021
Hi There
Could you let me know which court hears the cases of Perjury in WA?
My ex-wife got a FVRO a few month ago based on false allegations. I applied for cancelling the order .She didn't show up twice and the magistrate heard my reasoning and cancelled the order but she got another one the next morning ! . This time, I realised that I can prove with hard evidence that she has lied the court in at least 3 allegations( out of tens that can not be proven). besides, her claim was not based on a specific happening but based on a number of weak allegations that a few of them can be proven false. how can I file the case and is there a chance that I win? and what will be her penalty for perjury(if proven)?
Thank you

sammy01

27 September 2015
Oh, mate, you're not gonna like my advice. The laws around avo's are so weak that you're on a hiding to nothing.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
FYI, it is the court where the perjury occurred.

BTW, Sammy's advice is good. Judges are not likely going to exercise their discretion and have the person charged with perjury. Has to be something fairly extreme for the Judge to exercise their discretion else they'd double their work load.

My personal opinion is more people need to be made an example of by the courts. A quick look at the County Court in Vic since 1993 showed less than 100 cases involved perjury out of over 12,000 cases run in that court.