WA Payment Dispute by Store Owner - Where Do I Stand?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ian L

31 July 2015
I was asked to complete a large job at a residence occupied (as part of a salary package) by the property owner's employee (a store manager), and under instruction from the owner's son (also an employee and former resident of the home). The owner is now disputing payment as I did not have his direct authorisation. I have previously, on several occasions, completed work for another branch of the owner's enterprise, via a manager's request.

Could you possibly advise where I stand on this issue under employment law?

Thanks

S

Sophea

Hi,
Is the owner a company? What are the positions of the manager and the son?

There are various ways in which you can try to establish that the person who instructed had authority to bind their employer or company that they represent. There may be grounds to argue they held themselves out to have authority to bind the business or company. In this situation the principal (the owner in this case) can still be liable.

Also you might be able to argue that you relied upon a prior course of dealing with the owner whereby you took instructions from the manager. Based on what you have said I think you have valid arguments to claim payment from the owner.