QLD Passenger Mobile phone use in QLD

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

stephaniee

8 April 2018
Can a font passenger use or touch the phone when the car is stationary at a red light under QLD Law? We both hold open licences and over 25 yrs of age. The cop that was beside us on the other lane said it can't be used as it was a distraction but I can't find any official link that states this or otherwise regarding passengers.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I assume the driver was looking at the screen of the phone the passenger was holding. This can be considered unsafe driving, even while stopped at lights. So not illegal as such, but for what it represents - a distraction.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Taken straight from the Queensland Transport site:

Driving vehicle when image from television or visual display unit visible to the driver or likely to distract another driver
Queensland Road Rules—Section 299(1)
Points 3
Fine $168

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Thanks for the correction.

Just looked at the law in Vic and while worded differently has the same intent - no looking at a mobile phone screen :( Didn't look to see when the definition changed but I learnt something new tonight.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Taken straight from the Queensland Transport site:

Driving vehicle when image from television or visual display unit visible to the driver or likely to distract another driver
Queensland Road Rules—Section 299(1)
Points 3
Fine $168

Wow, that means you could not use a dash mounted GPS. much safer to have a printed map flapping around in your face i guess??

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
GPS units are not mobile phones and do not have the same restrictions.

I don't know the rules around using your mobile as a GPS.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Anything, if it is a distraction, could run afoul (either under this provision or another). This includes the car's fitted radio.

If nothing else, there's always the chestnut of operating a vehicle without due care and attention.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Anything, if it is a distraction, could run afoul (either under this provision or another). This includes the car's fitted radio.

If nothing else, there's always the chestnut of operating a vehicle without due care and attention.

Well that's the idiocy of this obsession authorities have with mobile phones and making mobile phone use (specifically) as being illegal. Because it is setting a precedent that mobile phone use is the only distraction you need to care about as a driver which is so stupid its almost funny. Yes mobile phones can be distracting, but does that mean other things cannot be distracting NOOOOOO !

Before all this obsession with mobile phones started, whenever i saw people driving like idiots because they were talking on the mobile, it never occurred to me the mobile should be banned, i just used to think the person should be fined for negligent driving.