Partner Visa - Sponsors Character fitness

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Third Order

23 January 2020
Hi everyone,

My partner and I are about to submit our application for an onshore partnership visa. I am the sponsor and she is the applicant. We were comfortable with our application right up until re-reviewing the forms prior to pressing submit.

There is a Domestic Violence question about Protection Orders against me as a sponsor. We are worried about possible problems we might have on this one.

My background:
* I have never been charged or convicted of domestic violence.
* I was falsely accused of domestic violence during an acrimonious separation. My ex-wife brought a private DVO, after the police would not bring a formal one due to lack of (no) evidence. The result was a Temporary Order (Given there is no real threshold test).
* The Temporary Order was disputed and eventually removed and we continued the child custody proceedings in the family court. (I ended up being awarded shared custody as the judge had no concerns.)

My partner is concerned that this DVO may cause our application to be rejected.

Questions:
- Is there any reason to think this could cause the application to be rejected?
- Are we required to answer yes to the question even though there was no Final Protection Order?
- How much context is needed / recommended within my partner response about this?

Thanks

Andrew