VIC Parking Fines Due to Misinformation from Council - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Clancey

6 February 2016
Last year, I started working for the Council as a meals delivery driver in the inner Brunswick area. In my first week, I was just walking out of the house where I had delivered the meal to the elderly couple when I saw a council parking officer putting a parking ticket ($152) on my car for parking in a disabled spot.

As I had only been in the house about 3 minutes, I was shocked. I said to him "I work for the council!" and showed him my i.d. and was also wearing my fluro council top. He said because I don't have a disability parking permit I will have to take it up with my supervisor. I was quite sure the manager would get the fine overturned but she just said "oh dear, we will help you put in a submission to have it reviewed."

I was so angry as when I was training I was told to always park at that spot as it is a very busy street with limited parking. When I said that to one of the supervisors, she did not really have any advice other than. "you can park there but you need to be careful. We are on tight timelines in order to get the hot meals to the clients as quickly as possible."

I asked after 2 weeks to find out if anything had been decided. They rang and told me it was on hold and "not to worry about it". 6 weeks later, I have just received a notice to say the parking fines will remain and I can choose to have it heard at the Magistrates Court. Needless to say, I no longer work in this job, as I would end up paying the Council more than they would be paying me!

I cannot understand why this council does not provide parking permits to staff in order to do the job effectively. Should I take it any further under Traffic Law?

Your opinion would be appreciated.

Ponala

10 February 2015
You can take it to court, but delivering meals is not an exemption to parking in the disable spot.

Clancey

6 February 2016
Evidently not and an expensive lesson, thanks. It would make sense to me for the council to provide disability parking permits in these circumstances as it is a 5 minute stop and benefits the person with a disability to have a nice hot meal delivered. What is the point of having a vacant parking spot at the front of the client's house and having to park half way down the street? And the other point is that the manager should make it abundantly clear that if we park in a disabled spot and we get fined we will be responsible for paying the fine. During my training I was told I could park in that spot by the trainer who has done that job for many years.