WA Opposing lawyer calls sons lawyer so as to avoid ‘sh1t fight’ in court.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Madagascar Madness

16 April 2018
hi all .. further to my last thread involving my granddaughter and substantiated child abuse occurring in the mother’s home..
Her lawyer has contacted my sons to try and ‘Sort something out’ before it gets to court for a hearing for argument of where the children live.

My question..
why would her lawyer do that if the thought they were in a good position???

Cheers

Maddi

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Nobody can predict or control an outcome at Court and most normal parents want to decide for themselves what happens with their kids rather than have a judge calling the shots, so this plus cost of trial will usually motivate reasonable people to make an effort to resolve a matter by consent.

Madagascar Madness

16 April 2018
Yes I agree that would be the ideal outcome-
But if she thought they were in a good position why would they approach my sons lawyer.
The magistrate gave direction to the mother to rethink her position however the updating affitdavit she was allowed to fill is still full of the same rubbish her original ones where..
Not addressing the current issues as directed..just focused on character assignation of my son and myself.

I think the lawyer knows that the magistrate is not going to be happy with what the mother has put forward so perhaps she’s trying to avoid it??

Nobody can predict or control an outcome at Court and most normal parents want to decide for themselves what happens with their kids rather than have a judge calling the shots, so this plus cost of trial will usually motivate reasonable people to make an effort to resolve a matter by consent.

Nonfiction

17 May 2018
Victoria
why would her lawyer do that if the thought they were in a good position???

This is the least acrimonious option... out of court negotiations, attempts to reach agreements, offers of settlement before trial, are not unusual. How close is the mother’s current position (orders) to what your son is seeking?

Madagascar Madness

16 April 2018
Miles away...although her minute of consent has two different scenarios..
1. The kids live with her and she has sole parental responsibility and my son have visits.
2 with out admission..
Kids live with father, joint parental responsibility and she has visits...

Then 12 other orders around phone calls and
Ridulous stuff like my son being supervised by me..

Remembering the abuse was substantiated against her household.

This is the least acrimonious option... out of court negotiations, attempts to reach agreements, offers of settlement before trial, are not unusual. How close is the mother’s current position (orders) to what your son is seeking?

Nonfiction

17 May 2018
Victoria
Yes, I do remember your other threads. Do you know yet what the mother is offering (has her lawyer sent through a proposal?) in terms of negotiations? If so is it closer to her number 2? You mentioned in your last thread that your sons lawyer had suggested he should offer mum more time? Has your son thought about this more?

btw if your son does not agree to the offers being made he doesn’t have to consent...

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Is mum funded by Legal Aid, by any chance?

Madagascar Madness

16 April 2018
Yep..number two is closer but she wants all weekends..My boy has said NO. Hes not ready to let the kids stay overnight given the abuse of the baby. He is proposing Sundays 10-5pm at her fathers house, Wednesday 4-6 at the local MacDonald or shops, plus the mother able to attend sons sporting events on Saturday, would give approx another 1.5 hours with children.This would be weekly. i think thats a pretty good start.

Yes, I do remember your other threads. Do you know yet what the mother is offering (has her lawyer sent through a proposal?) in terms of negotiations? If so is it closer to her number 2? You mentioned in your last thread that your sons lawyer had suggested he should offer mum more time? Has your son thought about this more?

btw if your son does not agree to the offers being made he doesn’t have to consent...

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Indeed she is....

Okay, this is probably one of the reasons why her lawyer is trying to settle. Legal Aid won't often represent at trial and will withdraw funding if the case lacks merit.

If I may make a suggestion?

Your son could propose consent orders that make overnights conditional on whatever is necessary to alleviate the risk of abuse.

If it's a mental health condition, then make it conditional on ongoing treatment with dad to receive regular reports from her treating physician.

If it's drug and alcohol abuse, make it conditional on random drug tests.

He could even make it conditional on overnight time being supervised by one of her parents at least, and he could propose that overnight time not start until the kids are older, so they're somewhat more capable of speaking up if mum does something stupid.

And If mum doesn't meet those conditions, then make it a condition that overnight time gets suspended until she does meet them.

If he does go down that path, it would be reasonable to expect such time to occur every second weekend with an afternoon during the week. The Court tends to see merit in the argument that children should have leisurely weekend time with both parents, rather than just one getting all the hard yards during the week, and the other getting all the fun of the weekend.

I don't think there's been much information provided about the nature or frequency of the abuse, nor how it was substantiated, but I'm conscious of the fact there are many cases where allegations of abuse have been made, and so very, very few in comparison which resulted in a finding of same. If the Court doesn’t take the allegations of abuse with as much gusto, then Dad might face criticism from the Court for not being more realistic about the kids time with their mum - after all, these orders will be in place until the kids turn 18, so if Mum takes steps to address the concerns Dad has, why shouldn’t she get a bit more time with the kids?

My view is that it’s always better to be flexible than it is to be rigid about the direction of your family law matter. Being so committed to one outcome that you won’t even consider negotiation otherwise can do more harm than good in the Courtroom.