QLD Not being paid contract rate

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jojobee

13 September 2020
At interview I was offer award rate of $23.88 ph. I declined job offer as I was already earning $26.60 with another employer doing same role. Three weeks later the interviewer (manager) Called me and asked me in for chat. she offered me $25.60 ph which I accepted. I signed contract with that pay rate. I have now been working there for 6 weeks and only been getting $23.88 ph. I have disputed this and Hr are saying i have not got the qualifications to be paid the contract amount and the manager who agreed to that rate should not have offered that pay. That manager no longer works at facility.
i am so angry as I would still be at my previous job earning more.
what can I do .?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You have 2 options:

1. Keep a record of your conversation with HR, do nothing for 5 years, then make a claim for back wages. See it as forced savings.

2. Explain again you have a written contract and you want your contracted amount. Risk is the employer may pay then find as excuse to end your employment.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Do be careful about how you go about option 1, you do not want to be seen as accepting the variation in wages. And you can only go back 6 years for a claim.

You may want to send a simple email to HR saying you do not accept their decision and leave at that.

Jojobee

13 September 2020
Manager told me Hr said I don’t have the qualification for the job so I am not entitled to the pay on my contract.
I never mentioned at any stage that I had qualification I just turned job Offer down Because the wage they were offering was to low in my opinion and after 3 weeks I was contacted and offered higher rate.
just completed 6 weeks and my 3rd pay slip is still $23.88.
My manager said it was all sorted out and I would be getting the amount It says on my contract.
But I’m not ... I’m so damn 😡

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Have patience grasshopper.

Reactions: Jojobee