QLD Nominating/self nomination of driver

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

fedupwithqldgovt

7 September 2018
so... I have received speeding fines (6) that weren’t mine. I didn’t have a license, but they were in my car.

I have filled out the stat decs signed by a jp, nominating another driver, as per the conditions on the back of the fine.

Received 6 letters back stating that as per legislation, the driver has to self nominate and I am unable to fill out the stat dec as I wasn’t driving.

Need to know who fills it out? The driver or the owner of the vehicle?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
The person who was driving. Otherwise you could blame anyone and delay the whole system - and people would. Unless and until someone else comes forward, the allegations will always be made against the registered operator.

fedupwithqldgovt

7 September 2018
So why does it say exactly the opposite on the back of the speeding fine? Bit hard to
Nominate someone when u have a non contact dvo?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Sorry if I wasn't clear. You can nominate another person, but if they dispute it was them (i.e. 'self-nominate') it will bounce back to you. The system relies on the other person having agreed. I suggest you fill out a more complete statutory declaration (you can search for a template on the web) and set out the situation in more detail - including that you cannot contact the driver. The one on the back of the fine is too narrow in scope to cope with that.