NSW New Definition of TPD Insurance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Craigl

25 September 2017
Hi,

Back in September 2016, I had surgery which didn't go to well. So after my waiting period (8 weeks) I applied for and received income protection for a total of 3 months (ending January 2017). Around that time(Dec 2016), my insurance co. changed the definition of TPD insurance to include retraining clause.

As opposed to just not being able to do your chosen career which are trained for, I had been a hairdresser for over 20 years with no other qualifications. Unfortunately in May 2017, I had to go back to income protection again. Now I understand they will include the previous 3 month period on my claim. So in others words, I had 21 months remaining with second claim before it was due to run out.

Now with no improvement in my condition I've applied for TPD insurance. My issue is with TPD definitions. I believe I should come under the pre Dec 2016 definition as that's when I made the original claim (they see fit to include both claim as a continuous claim as well). However they are saying it will done on new definition, which can make it more difficult to have a successful outcome. I feel this is wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Craigl

25 September 2017
Hi,

Back in September 2016, I had surgery which didn't go to well. So after my waiting period (8 weeks) I applied for and received income protection for a total of 3 months (ending January 2017). Around that time(Dec 2016), my insurance co. changed the definition of TPD insurance to include retraining clause.

As opposed to just not being able to do your chosen career which are trained for, I had been a hairdresser for over 20 years with no other qualifications. Unfortunately in May 2017, I had to go back to income protection again. Now I understand they will include the previous 3 month period on my claim. So in others words, I had 21 months remaining with second claim before it was due to run out.

Now with no improvement in my condition I've applied for TPD insurance. My issue is with TPD definitions. I believe I should come under the pre Dec 2016 definition as that's when I made the original claim (they see fit to include both claim as a continuous claim as well). However they are saying it will done on new definition, which can make it more difficult to have a successful outcome. I feel this is wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure how to edit posts.
I need to correct some dates. My initial failed operation was Sept 2014. First I. P. Date was from Oct 2014 till Jan 2015
Tpd definition changed Dec 2014
2ND I. P CLAIM starting Apr 2016 till the present day.