SA Moving Interstate for High School?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mumofthree

24 July 2014
Hello, i was wondering if there are any legal implications or requirements of my Daughters Father (we have been separated for 12 years, i have 100% care, no custody or parenting orders) enroling her into school in his state being QLD. He has asked to come and live with him and stay for a year. She has told me that she doesn't want to go. She starts high school in our state SA next year and we have filled in all required forms regarding getting her into high school here. Thank you for your time.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
This is not legal advice and I would double check with a solicitor for clarity.

Do you mean he's just gone ahead and enroled her without consulting you or your daughter about that enrolment first?

Summarily, no, there's no legal implication on either of you that I'm aware of, but you also have no legal obligation to send her just because she's enroled. On top of that, no court would rule that it's in the best interests of the child to relocate states at her age when she has lived with you her whole life.

Mumofthree

24 July 2014
Thank you for your reply. Yes he says it in case she wants to come. But didn't ask either of us. He has asked to her and she doesn't want to go. This is going to be a big issue for him and it has already impacted on my daughters life as she is worried about saying no. Thank you. I am trying to gather as much information as I can so I can back my daughters decision that she doesn't want to go.