Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Mother-in-law Refusing to Give My Personal Property Back

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Sherree, 28 August 2014.

  1. Sherree

    Sherree Member

    28 August 2014
    Likes Received:
    My partner and I moved interstate and my mother in law offered to keep our belongings in her shed on her property. Whilst living interstate, my partner and her had a falling out.
    Now living back in Vic, she refuses to give our stuff back and I'm not sure what I can do about it.
    The police told me I will need to speak to VCAT as this is a civil matter. Is this correct or were they just not wanting to get involved? I have contacted VCAT, but they said I should get a lawyer. To be honest, I would much prefer to keep it out of the court room, but I don't know what steps I should take next.
  2. Sarah J

    Sarah J Well-Known Member

    16 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi Sherree,

    The police are correct, this is a civil matter. You can bring an action to recover your property with VCAT and ask VCAT to issue a recovery order. VCAT is a tribunal and you do not need a lawyer to represent you before them.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page