NSW Mercedes discontinue paid software/function

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

NickJM

6 March 2021
I drive a Mercedes GLC250, and paid for an option called the COMMAND package. The COMMAND option includes a web browser as one of its functions. This worked for three years before Mercedes made the decision to stop it from working. When trying to access the browser it now says 'Internet browser discontinued. The browsing feature has been discontinued and will no longer be supported. We apologize for any inconvenience.' (See attached photo.)

Mercedes has confirmed in writing they have 'sun downed' this feature/function, and that the software was licenced to me.

So I believe this is a breach of ACL on a few fronts; acceptable quality (the function no longer operates), durable (as purchased it no longer operates), undisturbed possession (a good I have purchased has been rendered inoperable by the manufacturer) and repairs and spares (it can't be fixed, and there are no parts available to fix it).

If I use a similar scenario of software, say installed onto an iPad when new, one would expect the software to operate through and beyond the life of the iPad. One would not expect a piece of software to stop operating at some point in its life. (Even when the iPad is no longer supported by Apple??.) The software might not receives updates after the iPad is supported, but the software loaded at purchase one would expect to continue working as it did on day one.

I feel I should be able to claim a refund through the supplier due to the software no longer operating at all.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2916_s.jpg
    IMG_2916_s.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 1

Docupedia

7 October 2020

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Wow. Those would have to be the most biased articles I've read in a long time. No offence Docupedia, but something a bit more balanced in opinion might be more helpful. ;)

On a personal note, I firmly believe that our roads would be a lot safer without cars having any such rubbish installed in them in the first place. In my view, this kind of nonsense should be illegal, even if only in the front dash.

Side note: Using Winblows would be enough reason for me not to buy a Merc. :)

Last edited: