WA McKenzie Friend Procedure

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

James McGeough

29 August 2017
Hi all,

I have just completed a trial in the WA Supreme Court self represented and the judge reserved the decision.

Now I am waiting for notification from the judge’s associate regarding the date for the decision hearing.

My question is; what procedure should I follow if I want a McKenzie Friend to accompany me to the decision hearing?

Do I need to ask leave from the Court for a McKenzie Friend to accompany me ?

Main reason is, if I wish to appeal, I may need to have an application form ready and, may need to give proper notice if I wish to appeal and I may need to ask for a Court Order to immediately notify the estate administrator that distribution may not occur if an appeal is being considered.

Thanks in advance

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
how to find a mckenzie friend ?
You bring your own.
McKenzie friends are not in any respect a substitute for having formal legal representation.

mr.whoo

14 September 2022
To bring your own, First you need to find one is what I asked and didn't request an opinion !
The 'Formal respresentation' is a far cry from being competent and thorough in the actual matter at hand as against merely obtaining money !!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
To bring your own, First you need to find one is what I asked
Look at it this way - you don't find them in the Yellow Pages.
and didn't request an opinion !
That's fine, you haven't had one.

You have the answer your question.
Did you have a further question?