Legal Aid Lawyer Pressured Me to Plead Guilty?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

saffron

10 July 2014
My legal aid lawyer pressured me into pleading guilty to two charges which I didn't do. The agreement was that all other charges would be dropped and I could get any police checks done without these showing up. But I got one for work and everything came back. What can I do?

J

james50071

Unfortunately, the information you have provided me is inadequate to assure a complete understanding.

If you would like to lodge a complaint towards the Legal Aid lawyer, permitting you have reasonable purpose - email Legal Aid, write a letter of complaint and hand it to your local Legal Aid office, or mail it. As I am not aware of your state, I cannot provide you with specific information.

Alternatively, you can speak to your lawyer and apply for an appeal, once again permitting your scenario reaches the requirements.

Whichever you choose, ensure you obtain evidence supporting your belief.

saffron

10 July 2014
I had my boyfriend living with me and the police came to search the apartment we lived in the apartment was in my name. In the process of this search both my boyfriend and I did not resist or move in anyway the police broke my arm and in the list of charges they claimed that I went to attack them which is totally false! I'm a current nursing student and have not been in trouble sine over 17years ago when the court date came up all I cared about was not having a criminal record as this would destroy my dream of being a nurse my boyfriend took full responsibility for the things they found in my apartment. After many hours at the court my lawyer came back with a deal if I plead guilty to assault on the police and having prescription medication without having a prescriptions they would drop the other 20 charges and nothing would show on my records. But I have since applied for a police check and it comes up! What can I do I didn't assault the police and didn't want to take blame for something I didn't do my lawyer said that this was the best outcome I could hope for and I had no chance of sueing the police, the statements that each police officer made not one of them agreed to what happens they all have lied about what they did. My apartment is very small there is no way possible for what the police say I did to happen in that amount of space with 6 of them in there

saffron

10 July 2014
I've made many attempts to speak to this lawyer she brushes me aside so I'm seeking the help from another lawyer I'm just extremely upset that all my hard work I've put into my study over the last two years has been destroyed and my future! I didn't do anything wrong the police have lied and where overzealous in this search of my apartment and raciest my boyfriend was standing with his hands up not moving four police jumped on him and emptying four cans of spray into his eyes it was at this point where I fall to my knees yelling stop your hurting him this is when a detective graves my arm and broke it when I screamed he dragged me by my broken arm out of my apartment into the stairway. How can they get away with such behaviour and lie?

Toqual

10 July 2014
Hi Saffron,

Your explanation of the police treatment sounds rather drastic. It is crucial that you lodge a complaint, although in order to direct you to the appropriate site, I am going to require your state.

Thank you.

Reactions: John R

saffron

10 July 2014
I'm in Victoria I did put a complaint in with the ethical board but it was dropped due to one of the charges I was pressured into was assault on police! Which is something I would never do I'm not a aggressive person and I'm well aware that attempting to do that would result in charges being put against me and I wouldn't be able to be a nurse I need to get my case reconsidered and I don't know how to go about this process

saffron

10 July 2014
I forgot to mention that there were 6 male officers and 1 female that came into my studio apartment and I'm only 160cms and weigh around 49kgs which kind of says a lot!!

Toqual

10 July 2014
If you feel you were mis-treated by an officer(s), try this site. Perhaps the Victorian Ombudsman could be of assistance permitting you have attempted to resolve the matter through all other methods.

Do I need a Lawyer

21 January 2015
Hi there,

Unfortunately a complaint against the lawyer won't make the charges go away. The only way to have them addressed is to apply to reverse your plea - which is very difficult.

You will need to speak to a lawyer about it and unfortunately this forum won't be able to give you sufficient advice about what steps to take.