Leave country on Community Corrections Order

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ash198811

27 February 2019
I have recently started a Community Corrections Order in Victoria (end Of Jan 2019) , for high range drink driving. I have to complete 150 hours of community service. I do not have to visit any corrections Officer or anything. There is no other conditions I have to do. I will be finished my community service around June 2019, since I will be doing 12 hours a week of community service.

I am wanting to book airline tickets early for overseas holidays, like in July 2019. My CCO conditions say I I can not leave Victoria for 12 months. I am wondering if somehow Corrections will know if I leave the country and stop me, or Australian Immigration or passport control will know I am leaving and try to stop me. Also I do not know if it matters but I have a Malaysian passport and I am an Australian Permanent Resident. It is my first time ever been in trouble with the law. Thank you.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I am wanting to book airline tickets early for overseas holidays, like in July 2019.
Nope. You are not allowed to leave Victoria, let alone Australia.
My CCO conditions say I I can not leave Victoria for 12 months. I am wondering if somehow Corrections will know if I leave the country and stop me, or Australian Immigration or passport control will know I am leaving and try to stop me. Also I do not know if it matters but I have a Malaysian passport and I am an Australian Permanent Resident. It is my first time ever been in trouble with the law. Thank you.
Yes, they will know. Agencies share information.
In simple terms, your name is already on a list "on the computer" at the airports, ports, etc.
Assuming you are even allowed to board the plane to leave, you will certainly face arrest upon your return.