NSW Kitchen renovation deposit refund

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Richan

19 July 2017
Found the tradie from Hipage for quote wall demolition. When he came and he also quoted for our Kitchen renovation. he made the contract with total amount 18,000 for the job kitchen and wall demolition. We signed the contract and gave deposit of 4,250 on 3/7/2017. After deposit paid, we made few appointment during the week and he keep cancelling and we asked for the sample kitchen door and he couldn't show us. Also I checked from hipage he doesn't have licence for kitchen. The job has not been started. We were not comfortable so I talked to him and cancel the contract on 7/7/2017. He said he is going to return the deposit on 10/7/2017 but we haven't got it back until now 19/7/2017. We lost the trust on this business and we want the deposit back asap. I have reported to hipage and fairtrading for this case and they were saying they need 10 business day for refund, which will be this Friday 21/07/2017 due. We cannot trust this business anymore. I checked with fairtrading any contract over $5000 for kitchen reno the person might have the contract. when I talked to them they said they will introduce to someone with the license to do the job. But can they come and gave us quote for the kitchen if they don't have licence? and will they get any penalty or fine? what else can we do to get our deposit back?