NSW Keeping Son in Australia After Separation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

B Holder

4 October 2016
Hi there,

I have two children (one fifteen, one eleven ). Both myself and wife are New Zealanders who moved over to Sydney 6 years ago. My wife and I are in the process of undergoing a separation (her decision) and she now wants to move back to NZ (where her family are) and take my 11-year-old son. Although I agree with the separation, I have a very close relationship with my son and obviously do not think it would be in his best interest to go.

I am concerned that although she has family back in NZ, she has no work or regular income here in Australia (I am the sole income) or back in NZ . I am also worried that him being in NZ and his mother not having the funds to send him back to Australia on a regular basis will have a negative impact on both our relationship and with his older sibling.

I'm just wondering what family law rights I have to keep him here in Australia. Any help would be very much appreciated.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Put his passport in your back pocket. Easy...

Or tell her that you don't give consent for her to move with kid to NZ but that won't stop her. That way, if she does do it, you can apply for recovery orders. But the courts might say no...

Or apply to court for the kid to be put on airport watch list. Court possibly won't grant it and it will cost a lot of money.

Take the passport.

Matthew Lynch

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
18 July 2016
Sydney
lawtap.com
Hi B Holder

You need to file an Initiating Application in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia without delay and seek an urgent Order that the children are placed on the Airport Watch List. That will prevent her taking the children out of the country.

Recovering them after she leaves will be much more difficult.

B Holder

4 October 2016
Hi B Holder

You need to file an Initiating Application in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia without delay and seek an urgent Order that the children are placed on the Airport Watch List. That will prevent her taking the children out of the country.

Recovering them after she leaves will be much more difficult.
Thanks Matthew

B Holder

4 October 2016
Put his passport in your back pocket. Easy...

Or tell her that you don't give consent for her to move with kid to NZ but that won't stop her. That way, if she does do it, you can apply for recovery orders. But the courts might say no...

Or apply to court for the kid to be put on airport watch list. Court possibly won't grant it and it will cost a lot of money.

Take the passport.
Thanks