NSW Is Without Prejudice Admissible in Family Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bucko

29 September 2016
Just after some legal help folks...

I am going to family court. My ex sent a letter marked 'Without Prejudice'.

Can I refer to that letter in my affidavit and present a copy of it as evidence?

Thanks

Migz

20 November 2016
Essentially No you can't. But its family court, where there appears to be no rules what so ever, and everything is based on "judges discretion". If you think it will help, put it in, its then upto the judge to deal with it.

Here is a copy of what the wording means;

The phrase ‘without prejudice’ is all too commonly used by lawyers and non-lawyers in commercial negotiations and court proceedings, but what does it mean?

In short, by using the phrase ‘without prejudice’ in connection with a verbal discussion or a piece of written communication, the speaker or writer is indicating that the discussion or document is not to be used against that person in any subsequent or current court proceedings.

The reason for prefacing documents or discussions with the phrase is so that the parties can have open and frank discussions or negotiations without being concerned that the correspondence will later be used against them. To put it another way, if in settlement negotiations, you make a concession to the other party (about, for example, the strength of your case) and then the dispute does not resolve, the other party cannot tell the court about the concession which you made. For that reason, the phrase is very useful.

There is another purpose for which the phrase is used – that is, where the words ‘save and except as to costs’ are added to it and it is marked on a document which contains an offer to settle court proceedings. In those circumstances, where:

1. the offeror (the party who made the settlement offer and used the phrase in its offer) makes an offer which is subsequently rejected by the offeree; and
  2. the matter does not settle; and
  3. the court ultimately makes a decision which has better consequences to the offeror than the consequences that would have flowed had the offeree accepted the offeror’s offer,
the court may make an order that the offeree must pay the offeror’s legal costs, provided that the offer contained a genuine compromise on the part of the offeror.

Importantly, just because a document is marked ‘without prejudice’ or ‘without prejudice save and except as to costs’, does not mean that the document was properly prepared on that basis.

It is important that:

(a) where you are involved in a dispute, you understand the meaning and effect of the phrase ‘without prejudice’ and ‘without prejudice save and except as to costs’; and

(b) where you are attempting or engaging in settlement negotiations, you ensure that you indicate the negotiations are conducted on a ‘without prejudice’ or ‘without prejudice save and except as to costs’ basis.

Bucko

29 September 2016
Essentially No you can't. But its family court, where there appears to be no rules what so ever, and everything is based on "judges discretion". If you think it will help, put it in, its then upto the judge to deal with it.

Thanks Migz. Appreciate you taking the time to reply...

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
y ex sent a letter marked 'Without Prejudice'. Can I refer to that letter in my affidavit and present a copy of it as evidence?

Maybe. Depends on the content of the letter. Some lawyers incorrectly use the heading putting it on correspondence that shouldn't have it. If unsure you may be able to submit it to court but be prepared to have it thrown out, possibly with a minor rap on the knuckles by the judge.

The converse is also true, in that some correspondence not marked as 'without 'prejudice' can be refused admission as it is privileged information between the parties.

If the term is used correctly used, then what Migz posted is correct.

Bucko

29 September 2016
Maybe. Depends on the content of the letter. Some lawyers incorrectly use the heading putting it on correspondence that shouldn't have it. If unsure you may be able to submit it to court but be prepared to have it thrown out, possibly with a minor rap on the knuckles by the judge..

Thanks for the replies.

When you say thrown out - if this is something which is referred to in my affidavit would the entire affidavit be thrown out or just that paragraph.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Only the para referring to privileged evidence.