QLD What to Include in an Affidavit?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SelfRepHelp

16 March 2017
I am putting my affidavit together. My question is, if I have made an offer (or offers) to the OP am I able to attach mine in my affidavits?

Some had "Without prejudice except for costs", but many of them didn't. Can I use all of them as evidence, seeing they were my offers? I'd like to show that I have tried to compromise.

If I can't attach them, can I reference them?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
This is just me, but I would think including the full contents of your proposals is going to supersize your affidavit unnecessarily, and without much relevance to the child's best interests. I would just state when proposals were made if you're including a history of the proceedings (usually a good idea).

SelfRepHelp

16 March 2017
OK. Thanks. I'll do that then. So there is no issue with me including the offers I've made. What about the offers he has made?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
There's no issue with including them, but what are you trying to tell the Court about the child's best interests by submitting them?

SelfRepHelp

16 March 2017
I was trying to demonstrate that I have attempted to resolve this without protracted litigation. I made offers of compromise...

SelfRepHelp

16 March 2017
New question - so if it's not worth attaching those offers, I wondering what is worth attaching to an affidavit. In my affidavit I quote parts of messages. Do I need to attach a copy or can I just discuss it, like I will the offers?

My affidavit has to go in today....

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
That can get technical: it's very difficult to tell you exactly what to put in without seeing all of the information. As a general procedure I would suggest:

- Only include relevant messages. Exclude 'double-ups' unless you're trying to prove the importance of repetition;
- Refer to the important part of the message in the body of your affidavit, and attach a full copy of the message so that the judge can see the context of the information presented.

Lennon

11 September 2014
I disagree with the above. Evidence of offers of compromise of a dispute are inadmissible and should not be included in an affidavit (whether they are marked "without prejudice" or not).

See Evidence Act s 131.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
There are exceptions to that provision. Without a lawyer going through it, a self-represented litigant is likely to find it hard to know what is and what is not admissible. Better for them to let the court make the decision.

Lennon

11 September 2014
There can be costs implications for filing affidavits with inadmissible material in it, so I don't agree that it is appropriate to just put it in and let the court make the decision.

There are exceptions, they are clearly stated within s 131 of the Evidence Act itself.