NSW Legal for Employer to Ask Payment for Shortage in Cashier?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Meme

21 November 2017
Hi all,

I am working as a sales assistant in retail. The company is an international chain and they do franchise in Australia. I just started this job recently, and will be working in a new location soon. We take turns to work in cashier for the appointed day, only that person allowed to use that cashier. And other people can use the other cashier if its busy there.

So far, no one made any mistake in handling the cash, but I will be in a new location soon and the shop manager mentioned we will have to pay from our pocket to make up the difference if theres any shortage in cashier drawer. I often hear from another branch that some staff need to share to pay the difference.

My question is, is this legal for employer to do? My employment contract is very simple, there's no terms and condition like this.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No, it is not legal. At a practical level it may result in you being fired if you do not make up the difference. Will they use non-repayment as the excuse? Unlikely.

Having more than one person using the cash register is what MAY save your job.

You may need to decide if a principle is more important than the work.

Clancy

6 April 2016
That would be a nice place to be a Boss.... need to buy some inventory? Take the money from the till then make your workers pay for it.

But normally bosses are supposed to rip you off by making you do unpaid overtime, don't they know?

Reactions: MissMarie

MissMarie

26 March 2018
Welcome to the Fair Work Ombudsman website

It's 100% not legal for them to make you pay it.

As the other poster stated, if you are continually short in the till you'd likely get a performance review and possibly eventually let go from the company.

But you could steal as much as you want from the till and they can't take it out of your pay or make you pay it back.