Injured Back at Work - Will Personal Injury Lawyers Help?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tim C

8 April 2014
Hi there, I've been off work for over a month now after really injuring my back at work. I'm wearing a brace and can't do much of anything except rest. I was working part-time at my job. Still not sure if this will be something I have to deal with for the rest of my life.

Will personal injury lawyers or workers compensation lawyers be able to help? And if so, do I need to see them straight away or can I wait a bit longer until I feel like dealing with people?

robertc

8 April 2014
You are legally entitled to make a workers compensation claim or WorkCover claim if you are injured while at work. From what you've said, you injured your back while at work as a part-time employee.

A personal injury lawyer or compensation lawyer can give you advice about workers compensation law and also about whether you can claim compensation for your work injury. You might be able to receive a range of compensation benefits through a workers compensation claim such as current and future medical expenses, pain and suffering, and loss of earnings and future earnings. Different factors can affect the compensation that you may be entitled to. A good personal injury lawyer should be able to guide you through the process and get the best outcome for you.

There are time limits for workplace injury and workers compensation claims (usually 3 years from the date of injury) and it can take several months (or years) for a workers compensation claim to settle, so its important that you get in contact with a lawyer as soon as possible after you are injured.

Pam Y

9 April 2014
Go see a personal injury lawyer straight away-you don't want 3 years to pass by! The lawyer could help you out with what to do with your medical expenses too.

S

Sophea

It depends what state you are in as to how the Worker's Compensation will work in with the personal injury claim, but as previously stated, a good personal injury lawyer will be able to advice you of your rights and options. In addition, you may be able to start getting subsidised treatment for your injury. In any event, the sooner you see a lawyer the sooner you can start collecting all of the evidence that you need and knowing where you stand. There are a lot of personal injury lawyers now who will provide a free consultation and will tell you honestly whether or not you have a good claim.

19 May 2015
Australia
If you haven't already, see a lawyer. If you have a good comp firm they should be working you up to a WID claim as well as having a TPD claim if you can't work. Not all comp firms know a lot about TPD....some have been doing a lot longer than other. What have you ended up doing?