VIC Importing and Selling Private Label Product in Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ellie Kennedy

29 March 2015
I'm not too sure if I'm in the right place, but I am looking for more information about my requirements and responsibilities under Australian law once my private label product has completed its manufacture process in China to be able to sell the product in Australia, predominately online. It is an eyelash enhancer serum. It is labelled with function, usage, storage, ingredients and precautions and comes with an instruction manual. It is 3ml but I am only importing 100.

Ivy

10 February 2015
You'll need to look into all of the requirements of starting a new business, including getting an ABN, registering your business with ASIC and taxation. You should also contact the Therapeutic Goods Administration to see whether your product needs to be registered/ approved by them before you can sell online.

The Business.gov website is a comprehensive starting point: business.gov.au | Simple. Fast. Easy.

Reactions: DennisD and Tim W

Ellie Kennedy

29 March 2015
Thanks for the info. I have contacted TGA, not sure if its also regulated by, but I contacted NICNAS. That website is great though, thanks.

Ivy

10 February 2015
I didn't mention this, but it is natural ingredients. Does this make a difference is regulations?

Generally being a natural product won't make the difference between whether it needs to be approved by the TGA or not.