WA import to Australia and selling

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jeff123

3 October 2014
hello everyone,
i have got a question about importing things to Australia.
I wanna open my own nail salon in Australia and I would like to use a Nail gel product which
is produced in Germany. What do I have to know about importing things from a different country?
As well I was thinking about importing a lot of it and start a selling business for this product.
Do i need any special license to sell products in Australia?

thank you so much.

Clancy

6 April 2016
hello everyone,
i have got a question about importing things to Australia.
I wanna open my own nail salon in Australia and I would like to use a Nail gel product which
is produced in Germany. What do I have to know about importing things from a different country?
As well I was thinking about importing a lot of it and start a selling business for this product.
Do i need any special license to sell products in Australia?

thank you so much.

Well at the very least you will need to get an Australian ABN number, and then whatever else is needed for your small business.
When it comes to importing product from overseas, you will often find that manufacturer already ships product to Australia so they will already have the necessary approvals for that product. If not, then i doubt they will be interested in investing the time and effort on getting the necessary product approvals, just for just one tiny small business in Australia.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You'll also need to find out if someone already has distribution rights covering Australia. The manufacturer should be able to tell you that.