NSW How to Find Probate and Letters of Administration?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Michelle Elisabeth

26 August 2017
Hi,

Is there a way I can find out if a probate/ letters of administration has been issued? There is no Will, and the deceased died in Queensland in September this year. There is a lot of debt left behind, mostly in NSW
Thank you

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
If Letters of Administration have been issued, a search of the New South Wales Supreme Court will tell you. Call the Registry and ask how you can do a search.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
No, you'll have to search in Queensland to see if it was applied for in Queensland. Sorry, I saw the NSW tag on your post and answered accordingly.

Probate or Letters of Administration are usually applied for in the state in which the deceased ordinarily resided. If they are needed to be filed in other states, they can be re-sealed with each applicable state's registry.

You can do an online search in Queensland by name (here: Party search) find the Queensland Supreme Court Registry details here: All courthouses | Queensland Courts

I imagine NSW will have something similar if you search for it.

Michelle Elisabeth

26 August 2017
No, you'll have to search in Queensland to see if it was applied for in Queensland. Sorry, I saw the NSW tag on your post and answered accordingly.

Probate or Letters of Administration are usually applied for in the state in which the deceased ordinarily resided. If they are needed to be filed in other states, they can be re-sealed with each applicable state's registry.

You can do an online search in Queensland by name (here: Party search) find the Queensland Supreme Court Registry details here: All courthouses | Queensland Courts

I imagine NSW will have something similar if you search for it.

Thank you so much