VIC How Long Can Police Charge Me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Annho

12 September 2016
I have been asked by police to go in for an interview in April with regard to a criminal damage of my neighbour. The police said I might be charged but I have yet to hear from them. How long do they have to charge me?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Till you die, unless it is a summary offence and then I think they have 12 months from the date of the alleged incident.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Ok, a few things:

Criminal Damage (if that is what they have told you they want to question you about) is not a summary offence, it is an indictable offence. There may be some statutory charge that is summary that they intend on charging you with, although I am doubtful of this given your wording and without knowing more.

Indictable offences - The prosecution can take place at any time after the commission of the offence, although there are some statutory time limits and procedural preconditions may exist for certain offences.

General Info:
Summary Offences - I assume you're an adult? If so, charges must be filed within 1 year of the date on which the offence alleged to have been committed.