QLD Charges for Assault - What to Expect?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Xena The Warrior Princess, 14 July 2018.

1. Xena The Warrior Princess

Xena The Warrior Princess Well-Known Member

Recently my friend pressed charges for an assault for occasioning bodily harm, and the police officer said that they need to serve the papers to a person first in order to bring him in for an interview. It's been a week now and we didn't hear anything yet. She provided police with all the evidence (photos, doctor's reports etc...).

How long does it take for this process and what could be a potential outcome for aggrieved?

I would really appreciate any thoughts.

2. DMLegal

DMLegal Well-Known Member

That's unusual, usually they just arrest the person and if they want to bring the case to trial then they will serve a summons. I've seen criminal cases take years, are you asking how long the entire process will take? A lot will depend if the Accused pleads guilty or not guilty. I don't understand what you mean 'outcome for the aggrieved'?

3. Xena The Warrior Princess

I thought that is unusual too. Maybe they cannot locate the person, not so sure.

4. Xena The Warrior Princess

What I meant by the "outcome for the aggrieved" is what can aggrieve person expect, is she going to be notified of the outcome?

5. sammy01

sammy01 Well-Known Member

"Is she going to be notified of the outcome?"
    Not likely, if the aggrieved is in court when the case is heard they will hear the outcome.

6. Xena The Warrior Princess

So that is going to be just between the police and the respondent first, and if that goes on court, the aggrieved will know the outcome then. Am I right?

7. DMLegal

Sorry for the slow response. It depends on the Investigating Officer, if they are compassionate they will let the aggrieved know, but they aren’t not obliged to do so. So yes, if the officer does not contact the aggrieved then the only other way would be to infer that there was no further action based upon no charges being laid.

8. Xena The Warrior Princess

It looks like the system has failed many many times already. Some people just get away with all. Sad reality

9. DMLegal

Very true

10. scott roberts

scott roberts Member

What You Need to Understand if You Are Charged With Assault

The simplest offenses that have to do with assault will only merit a fine, but the gravest ones can sentence a criminal to up to 99 years behind bars.

Moreover, assault charges can be based purely on even an oral threat.

Whichever the case may be, assault charges must be taken seriously – you need to know what your rights are whether you are being the one charged or doing the charging.

Types of Assault Charges

Simple assault – Injuries resulting from the assault are minor and no weapon was used to commit it
    Verbal assault – Oral and non-physical in nature, resulting into psychological, mental, and/or emotional injury
    Aggravated assault – Use of force against another individual as well as use of weapon
    Physical assault – Typically committed prior to an attempt on murder, resulting into “grievous” physical harm

Business and Real Estate Law - Marijuana cannabis business law firm Michigan M

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...