ACT Homework Question - Criminal Law Assignment Assistance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

rub

1 June 2019
I was wondering if you could help me with my legal studies assignment on Criminal Law? For it, I have to choose a topic - I chose Terrorism and I have to:

a) Outline what the contemporary issue is, b) Describe the legal and non-legal response to the issue, c) Evaluate the effectiveness of the legal and non-legal response to the issue using three of these:

i) Accessibility ii) Enforceability iii) responsiveness iv) Protection of individual rights v) Meeting society’s needs vi) Resolution of disputes vii) Application of the rule of law viii) Has justice been achieved?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
1. You should post this in the Law Student's thread.
2. Ask specific questions on what you want assistance with. People here may assist, but we don't do assignments for you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'm big on 4. Protection of individual rights is what guarantees our freedoms.

Take away our rights and we have more to fear from our own government than we do the odd terrorist. Governments have always had laws to combat terrorist activities, think treason and sedition. Terrorism is not a new concept, just re-defined and reinforced by a media selling advertising slots on TV and in newspapers.

Howard invoked and heightened the threat of terrorism (remember Iraq!) as a political ploy to frighten the populace into seeing how strong he was on protecting Australia (against the threats he created). Great vote winning strategy playing into Labor's heartland. Masterful tactic by Howard. Though not exactly unique. This tactic has been used many times in the past, with recent examples notably being Nixon's war on drugs, and the Bushs' involvement in the middle east.

Good luck, this is a large topic and you'll need to give it a broad brush treatment.