NSW Hereditary Rites Denied

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Johnharlin

17 September 2018
The situation is this. My friend is suffering tremendous financial problems in the United States.
Her father had married an Australian Woman 30 years ago. At that time, her home in Sydney Australia, I am just estimating by inflation, was worth about 1 million dollars. First his wife died and then a year later he died. Now her home was recently sold by the wife's family for $5 million from a family that was already immensely wealthy. My friend, the daughter, received zero from that sale and no assets whatsoever. On top of that, his wife used my friend's father's money to pay for the nursing home which from what I was told was quite expensive since it was a top of the line home. Her father's account was completely drained even though my friends name was on it with her father's name.
In the United States, we have something called community property where hereditary property is divided evenly. I understand that in Australia, they have something called separate property, or separate assets but after 30 years of marriage, should not my friend be entitled to something for her hereditary rights.

Sorry, Like an idiot, I used Rites in the title and it should be Rights and I could not figure out how to correct it.

Last edited:

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
If I understand correctly, you want to know if you friends daughter has a claim on his ex-wife's estate?
If this is correct she could have a claim using the family provision section of the wills Act in NSW if she was the daughter or step daughter of the deceased or a member of here household at some time.