WA All assets under defacto name includ House

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

White

14 December 2017
hello my father recently died from cancer ,
However after 43 years he has never contacted me until early april.
I was excited to reconnect with him again.
My father died in November and told me he has a lady friend no name was given until I phoned her when she sent me a message informing me my father past, no details of the hospital were mentioned , or how he died? She said he had no family , but my father told me he had 2 brothers? She denied them.
I found out the house he owned that he also told me was transferred in her name early March , we made contact in april .
His business private company selling ...had 3 shareholder in it 80% shares to his lady friend, 2 10% of shares to other member and he had none but was a director with his lady friend, a lawyer in WA said my father owned nothing and all assets seemed to be in her name , even his phone number ?
I would like to claim my lost heritage I will never ever see again.
The funeral was private arranged from her and was only for friends no family,
I however phoned as I don’t live in WA and asked details about it, the funeral director said they could not help under privacy laws , she has deliberately prevented me from contacting my father with email sent from her to me as after he died she funny enough uses his email personal account? Apparently it’s legal according to federal police?
Do i have a claim on anything or do o have to beg her for my family history , photos , something of my fathers to remember him. I cryied as a kid no knowing where he was..Father’s Day no dad, Xmas...birthday..
What do you suggest , I hired a PI and only got one person to say he was living with her 20 years ago..I asked my father about if he was living in a defacto..he said NO but I have a lady friend
Please help.
LR QLD

Arche

20 March 2015
I am sorry to hear this. There is probably not much you can do about most of the property which sounds as though it was his to trasfer as he wanted.

As for personal items, afraid you may just have to ask her nicely.

Jemma

27 December 2017
You could ask a solicitor to check the transfer of same and how long before he died then try make a claim sounds like he got rid of his assets before he died for a reason.