NSW Successful estranged sibling contesting will

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Curly1

8 March 2020
My sibling earns 300k pa and owns - with mortgage - a 2 million dollar home. He's divorced and his ex wife and him share custody. His ex wife earns 300k also. His child attends private school, and is enrolled in a 30k pa grammar school for highschool

I'm married with three kids and a modest income. Our kids attend public school. Our 2 bed home is worth maybe 1 million and is too small for us.

My brother has been estranged from my father since 1988. He's made no attempt to reconcile with my father.

My father's estate is worth maybe 2 million.

His will was written in 1999 and made provision for my brother of a dollar amount of less than 100k, with the rest going to me.

Does he have a case?

It seems unfair that because his biological father he had zero contact with in 30 years dies he expects to have his mortgage paid out.

My father was of sound mind when he wrote his will. Will it be upheld?

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
It's a medium to long shot but he could pull it off.
2million dollars is a lot of money. Some judges could say that those school bill need paying and what if his BMW needs new tyres.
Wait and see if anybody is willing to take it on. Or have they already?