NSW Help with Australian Citizenship

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

worried79

5 October 2014
Hi. I have a problem and I don t know what to do.

I got married in April 2011 to a student I put his application for Australian permanent residency and we got it. 1 year later my husband applied for Australian citizenship and now when he's on the process, some idiot has put in a complaint that my husband married me to gain his residency. He received a letter say he has to prove his character and prove that when we got married it was genuine, which it was.

My husband and I have separated since than but are good friends. How can I help him or prove that we were genuinely a married couple? Only because of time factor we broke up. Can immigration really cancel everything?We have been through a lot together and at a point we did love each other we still care very much for each other he is an honest law abiding person. He's never broken the law for any reason.

Please help me find a solution.

S

Sophea

Have you advised DIMIA of your "change of circumstances" - ie the fact that when you likely applied for the residency / citizenship you represented that you were married, however you are now separated. This will have a bearing on their decision, and if you do not notify them DIMIA may consider it dishonest or an attempt to provide false information, which won't go down well.

worried79

5 October 2014
Have you advised DIMIA of your "change of circumstances" - ie the fact that when you likely applied for the residency / citizenship you represented that you were married, however you are now separated. This will have a bearing on their decision, and if you do not notify them DIMIA may consider it dishonest or an attempt to provide false information, which won't go down well.
Hi yes they know and my husband has already got his residencey it been 2 and a half years now

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You need a lawyer who is also a Migration Agent.
It will be a matter for you to prove that you were in a bona fide marriage.